Sunday 16 November 2014

3 Coffee Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts

In July, I transitioned from my previously unconscious use of chemically-ridden, high-pesticide load coffee pods and started making organic coffee with a Chemex brewing system.

Suddenly I found myself feeling like a scientist as I made my daily cup of Joe, and it allowed for a completely new approach to the art of making coffee. Here are three recipes I've used during my experimentation.

  

Modified Bulletproof Coffee

The paleo movement has ignited momentum in the world of coffee with the birth of Bulletproof coffee. The original way of making Bulletproof coffee falls into more of a primal category, since it includes dairy. I prefer a modified version, using ghee instead of butter. Here's how I make it:

Ingredients
 
  • 1 Tablespoon of MCT oil
  • 1 Tablespoon of ghee
  • 18oz of fresh brewed coffee
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Dash of turmeric

Method
Blend it all together and enjoy!

Traditional bulletproof coffee would not use the cinnamon and turmeric. These modifications offer an anti-inflammatory benefit, which is a bonus for any athlete.
 

Homemade Cold Brew

Cold brew is another craze in the coffee world, especially here in Los Angeles. I love an afternoon cold brew like nothing else. At my favorite local spot I mentioned how much I enjoy a good cold brew and also that I write for Breaking Muscle, and the gentleman behind the counter was happy to tell me how to make my own. Delighted, I ran home and immediately got started. Here's how to do it:

Ingredients
  • 16oz of cold filtered water
  • 3/4 cup freshly ground coffee

Method
  1. Combine both ingredients in a Mason jar and stir.
  2. Cover and let sit for 16 hours.
  3. Strain through a coffee filter into a new container and refrigerate until chilled. 
  4. Enjoy a delicious homemade, simple cold brew!

  

"Hello" Cup of Coffee

Since the beginning of my health-conscious life, I crave a little kick now and again with my food and drinks. That desire, coupled with a strong love of chocolate, inspired this cup of deliciousness. Basically my two cravings got married and they now exist in a cup of coffee that excites from the first sip to the last. I call it my “Hello” cup of coffee.


Ingredients
  • 8 ounces of freshly brewed coffee
  • Dash of cinnamon, turmeric & cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon of cacao powder

Method
Mix all ingredients together and stir with a spoon. Take your first sip and say hello!

  

For the athletes in all of us, each of these recipes offers tools for optimum performance. Bulletproof coffee supports a ketogenic fat-burning response. The anti-inflammatory benefits of the spices used have long been known for their benefits. And there's no denying the energy a delicious cup of coffee brings to any workout.

The decision regarding caffeine in an athlete's diet is an individual one. I find coffee helps my performance, and science has found the same thing time and time again, so I'll go on enjoying a cup of joe before my daily workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Popular Now